Pages

Tuesday 22 September 2015

Stones on a Grave by Kathy Kacer @orcabook

Stones on a Grave
Kathy Kacer
Orca Books

I received an advanced reading copy of Kathy Kacer's newest novel.  It is part of the seven author team of the Secrets series.  I have read and enjoyed many of Kathy Kacer's novels and this one did not disappoint.  Kathy's ability to develop believable characters quickly engaged me to learn more about the protagonist's family history.  As an orphan Sara must leave her meager but comfortable home in an orphanage and face her past.
This novel would be great way to introduce the Holocaust to Grade 7/8 students.  When I reflected back on my reading of this novel I realized that there are several "ripple effects" that war can have on society and individuals long after peace is declared.  Kathy helped me to be more empathetic to those who must live on after suffering great losses. I also made the connection to the current Syrian crisis and suffering even though this novel was set in the past.
Grade 7/8 students will relate to the characters and be able to make real life connections to the issues woven into the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment