Pages

Monday 27 October 2014

Descent into Overworld by @liamodonnell @GamingEdus

Descent into Overworld
Liam O'Donnell
Feeding Change Media

Liam O'Donnell's latest novel Descent into the Overworld is going to be a  big hit with students aged 7-12 because the adventure takes place in a very popular setting; inside the computer game Minecraft!
I volunteered to read an advanced reading copy (as a beta reader) because I wanted to learn more about Minecraft as I have never experienced the game firsthand.  I enjoyed learning about Minecraft, as the setting, through the author's descriptions.  I thought the characters were likable and reminded me of students I know in my own school.  Although falling into a Minecraft game is not typical, the characters reactions' as events unfolded seemed realistic. The story's plot moved along quickly yet there was enough detail given to create the needed visuals as I read.
I learned a lot more about the appeal of Minecraft while reading this novel.  The ability to create and build items in Minecraft is a big attraction for many.  I now understand how to keep oneself healthy while you are in the world of Minecraft.  I also think the quest like story line has a universal appeal.
I predict this book will be very popular with your adventure readers and Minecraft players alike.  It would make a great read aloud in a grade 3 or 4 classroom. I think many lively discussions will be ignited while reading this novel.  I'm looking forward to the sequel!



No comments:

Post a Comment