Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

review of The Giver by @LoisLowryWriter @randomhouseCA

The Giver
Lois Lowry
Random House

Well I hate to admit it, but I had never read The Giver before even though I was sure it was a great story. I was spurred on to read it this week because of my Battle of the Books students' praise and because of the upcoming movie release;) It did not disappoint!
I really enjoyed how much thought Lois Lowry took to create all of the fine details in her dystopic world.  She created an engaging world for Jonah which at first appears as idyllic. Then the reader begins to see the cracks in the veneer of this highly structured society.  As the end of the novel unfolds I appreciated the complex ending that Lowry created as there could be no satisfying simple resolution. Although this story was written in 1993, it has a timeless plot and message and I feel it is still relevant
to today's readers.  I think my students in grade 6+ would really enjoy this novel and I will
suggest it as a read aloud to my grade 6+ teachers as it will generate great topics for discussion!

No comments:

Post a Comment