Pages

Thursday 24 September 2015

Small Bones by @VickiGrantYA @orcabook

Small Bones
Vicky Grant
Orca Books

I really enjoyed this Secrets book as I found the characters engaging and I connected with them immediately.  I received an advanced reading copy to preview and I was not disappointed.  Dot is an orphan that must leave the quiet sleepy town of Hope, Ontario in 1964.  She obtains a few hints about her birth parents and decides to investigate.
I enjoyed the way the hints are interspersed throughout the book to keep the reader guessing about Dot's father's true identity. I also appreciated that the character is reasonable and doesn't jump hastily to conclusions.
I thoroughly enjoyed the small town summer resort setting.  Vicki provides the reader enough details to see the resort without slowing down the pace of the story.
This book would be enjoyed by students in Grade 6-8.
I think students would gain a better sense of some of the advantages and disadvantages of being a teenager in the 1960's. I feel it would generate some discussion around teenage life then and now.



No comments:

Post a Comment