Pages

Thursday 18 April 2019

Homes: A Refugee Story by Abu Bakr al Rabeeah, Winnie Yeung @fhbooks #Canadareads @cbcbooks

Homes
Abu Bakr al Rabeeah,  
Winnie Yeung
Freehand Books

I really enjoyed this nominated Canada Reads book as it helped me gain insight into the life of a Syrian family and their dangerous journey to Canada.  This was an excellent memoir to read as it taught me more about the Syrian crisis and I have developed more empathy and understanding.  The book is quite accessible for many readers and many I feel that students in grades 7+ could learn from it.  I would make a great read aloud as it would generate many conversations around social justice and gratitude for our Canadian lifestyle.  This memoir would have been very difficult to write as it would bring back difficult times and mastering the words to describe his experience would have seemed daunting.  I congratulate the writing team!
This is a great companion to Colleen Nelson's fictional novel Sadia.

No comments:

Post a Comment